Thursday 1 November 2012

30 Day AIP Challenge

Well, I started my Facebook Page last week, and now I'm ready to start blogging!  I'm going to jump right in and document the 30 day Paleo Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) that I am starting in 4 days (shopping day, but following as much as I can until then!).
  

Credit for above pic goes to: http://www-mammothkitchen.myshopify.com/blogs/blog/6531763-30-day-autoimmune-protocol

Basically it's 'normal' Paleo minus all dairy, eggs, nuts, nightshades (tomatoes, capsicum, many spices, eggplant, potato) and most fruits.  Now I don't know if that sounds like a big deal to you, but let me tell you, I eat A LOT of eggs & nuts, and I love my fruit (what I can eat with IBS), so it's a pretty big deal for me!  Basically, I don't know for sure that I have a specific autoimmune issue (I'm not taking myself off to the doctor for a bunch of tests), but I do know that I have issues with nightshades (for instance my hands are killing me today after eating a tomato-based sauce last night & I have a headache) and I also suspect that I have issues with eggs (at least the whites) & nuts, so I'm keen to see how I feel after 30 days without these things.  I am using Diane Sanfilippo's book Practical Paleo as a guide (one of my favourite Paleo books!) as well as some other online resources.

That said, this is NOT an easy diet by any means, and it's pretty restrictive (thankfully, I've got time to get my 30 day challenge completed before Christmas!), and it will be especially challenging for breakfasts, but I've found a few good ideas here, although not all of them are easily do-able in NZ (we don't have a lot of turkey here). 

Basically I just need to have some version of meat & vegetables at each meal (that'll take some getting used to for breakfast!).  I'm imagining I'm going to lose a bit of weight without all those nuts I've been gobbling up every day (which are most probably to blame for me putting on 3kg (6.6 lbs) in the last month, instead of losing 3kg like I would have liked!).  I'm also giving up my favourite organic 85% chocolate & coffee (I don't like it black anyway and I won't be able to have my usual home-made nut milk).

You can find info on what symptoms & conditions fall under the autoimmune 'umbrella' here, it is quite a list! The main autoimmune condition I believe I may be affected by is early signs of arthritis (I get really sore achy joints in my hands and feet) and I also have general digestive issues (IBS).  I also have weird circulation issues, where one of my fingers goes numb and turns white frequently for no known reason at all.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done the Paleo AIP or wants to join me for this challenge - I can use all the encouragement I can get!  

Thanks so much for stopping by!

x

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment